Tuesday, December 15, 2009

SharePoint Breadcrumb Oddity

I was setting up a new SharePoint master page and I was having a horrible time trying to figure out why my breadcrumb navigation was working for some pages and not for others. I finall found this blog post explaining what was going on: http://www.novolocus.com/2008/02/22/more-sharepoint-breadcrumb-wtf/

It turns out that some of the default publishing layouts "blank" the placeholder I was using to control the breadcrumb navigation. Once I inserted my own and moved the place holder somewhere esle, everything was fine.

Odd...

1 comment:

Andy Burns said...

Yup, it's 'cos some page layouts supply their own breadcrumb. You might find these posts useful, though you're approaching it from the other end ("What's up with my master page", rather that "What's up with my page layout").

Build page layouts without breadcrumbs or a title

What do out-of-box pages do with their breadcrumbs